Wed, 26 Jun 2019

Finglas pub destroyed in huge blaze, Gardai launch probe

By Sheetal Sukhija, Kansas State News
16 Nov 2018, 02:39 GMT+10

DUBLIN, Ireland - A large number of Dublin Fire Brigade units and Gardai attended the scene of a hugeblaze that broke out at a popular Dublin pub overnight.

Emergency authorities were alerted about the blaze at the Bottom Of The Hill bar in the capital, shortly after 1 am on Wednesday night and rushed to the scene.

The Dublin Fire Brigade said that several units from Finglas, Phibsboro and Tara Street attended the scene of the blazing pub, located on the Main Street, at the end of the Finglas village.

The fire crews reportedly remained at the scene all night and departed from the area only at 7 am, after they managed to prevent the blaze from spreading.

However, at the end of the firefighting efforts, that lasted for six hours, fire crews said that the building was extensively damaged.

Emergency crews reportedly had to remove a section of the metal roof on the building, which began to peel back due to the fiery flames.

Fire crews noted that the section of the roof had to be removed to make the building safe.

A Dublin Fire Brigade spokesperson said, "Crews have been fighting a large fire in Finglas overnight. The fire appeared to start in an office over a pub. The first call was at 0055."

The Dublin Fire Brigade also posted pictures of the fire incident on their Twitter page, which showed smoke billowing out as the huge fire continued to surge on the roof of the pub.

Meanwhile, as fire crews continued to battle the blaze, Gardai officers that attended the scene and remained there all night, said that they had placed local diversions for traffic around the area.

By Thursday morning, Gardai said that all the roads in the village have since been reopened and an investigation had been launched into the fire incident.

Gardai said that they have preserved the scene to facilitate a technical examination in a bid to determine the cause of the blaze.

While the exact part of the building where the fire started remains unclear, officials have indicated that the blaze could have started in an office room above the public house before moving its way down.

Meanwhile, officials confirmed that no one was injured in the fire.

In a statement on Thursday morning, a garda spokeswoman said that investigations into the incident are ongoing.

The spokeswoman added, "The fire occurred at the premises on Main St., Finglas at approximately 12.40am this morning. Gardai and Dublin Fire Brigade attended at the scene. There was traffic restrictions in the area for a period of time but they have now been lifted. No one was injured in the incident. Gardai are appealing for witnesses or anyone with information to contact Finglas garda station on 01 6667500."

More Kansas News

Access More

Sign up for Kansas State News

a daily newsletter full of things to discuss over drinks.and the great thing is that it's on the house!